Chocolate Coconut Bars (Bounty Bars)
This homemade version of the classic bounty bar is easy to make and only require 5 healthy ingredients. These coconut bars are vegan, raw and gluten free.
For the coconut filling:
- 1 (400 ml) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp xylitol or 3 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)
- 50 g coconut oil
- 170 g fine desiccated coconut
For the chocolate coating:
- approx. 280 g bitter chocolate
- 20 g coconut oil
- Chill the can of coconut milk overnight or for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator. (This will encourage the separation of the coconut cream and coconut water).
- Remove coconut milk from the refrigerator, being sure not to shake. Open coconut milk and scoop off the coconut cream. Weigh 200 g of coconut cream.
- Melt coconut cream with coconut oil and xylitol in a saucepan on a low heat. Remove from heat and add the desiccated coconut and mix with a large spoon until combined.
- Line a chopping board with parchment paper. Place the mixture onto a chopping board. Use your hands to press down and create a rectangle shape that is roughly 2 cm thick.
- Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Take out of the refrigerator and cut into bars (you'll get around 18 pieces).
- Keep in the refrigerator while melting chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a glass or metal bowl over a simmering pan of hot water – make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Dip the coconut bars, one by one, into the chocolate using two forks until evenly coated, letting the excess drop off, and sit them on top of a cooling rack.
- Place back into the refrigerator to firm up.
- Store bars in a covered container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Number of portions: